Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at the Harvard Kennedy School is a research initiative that brings data and economics insights to the design and implementation of public policies in countries around the world. Researchers directly engage with governments and local organizations to design and test innovative new policies—identifying key policy questions, using economic theory to design policy responses and evaluating these via large field-based experiments. Current research topics at EPoD include governance, education, entrepreneurship, health, labor, agriculture, sustainable development, and access to finance.
EPoD is recruiting a high potential Riyadh-based research fellow to contribute to a large, multi-year research-policy engagement with the Ministry of Labor and Social Development in Saudi Arabia. The position requires strong data and analytical skills and a self-starting candidate who can confidently and competently build and manage partnerships, engage with government counterparts at all levels, manage field activities, and support visiting faculty and research staff in Riyadh. The successful candidate will be called upon to clean and analyze both primary and secondary datasets. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to join a team of leading economists and public policy experts from Harvard and other leading universities to support cutting-edge policy research and gain first-hand experience working with policy partners and managing field research operations.
- Collect primary and secondary datasets
- Clean and analyze large datasets using Stata
- Participate in survey design and impact evaluation activities
- Prepare literature reviews per request of senior researchers
- Develop policy briefs, presentations, and other documents presenting research evidence in a compelling and policy-relevant format
- Support research project activities, including intervention implementation, and contribute to field-based scoping, survey design, and survey testing
- Conduct day-to-day field-based activities, under supervision of senior researchers and in collaboration with relevant policy partners in Saudi Arabia
- Facilitate the formation of relationships between policy makers and researchers to develop new project collaborations
- Coordinate with project teams to ensure timely submission of deliverables, as well provide support to projects on the field as necessary
- Others, as required.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in economics, statistics, education, management, computer science, or a related field including quantitative coursework, with at least 2 years of relevant experience
- Familiarity with data analysis techniques and statistical software packages such as Stata
- Strong interest in public policy and economic development
- Excellent oral and written English and Arabic communication skills
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite
- Mature, self-directed individual with ability to balance multiple tasks and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment
- Master's degree in economics, statistics, education, management, computer science, or related quantitative field and experience with quantitative research
- Experience living and working in Saudi Arabia
- Familiarity with Quantitative and Qualitative packages like Stata and Nvivo
- Program management and field research experience, especially in Saudi Arabia, is highly desired.
- Candidate should have strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to engage with policy partners of all levels.
How to Apply:
If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Research Fellow – Riyadh, Saudi Arabia." Please attach your CV, academic transcript, and a cover letter, all in English.