Position: Senior Operations and Partnership Manager
Employer: Inclusion Economics Nepal at Governance Lab
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal (with regular domestic travel)
Start date: As soon as possible
Who We Are:
Inclusion Economics Nepal is an initiative affiliated with Inclusion Economics at Yale University, founded and based out of the Yale Economic Growth Center and MacMillan Center. Inclusion Economics Nepal is based at, and accountable to, Nepal’s Governance Lab at the Daayitwa Abhiyaan. Inclusion Economics Nepal collaborates with the Inclusion Economics at Yale University team to enable inclusive economies and societies through research and policy engagement.
Governance Lab, in partnership with Inclusion Economics at Yale University and researchers at the London School of Economics, is part of a research collaboration that seeks to understand whether and how policy and development programming can support the objectives of inclusive political and economic growth in the context of Nepal’s recent transition to a federal system of government. We will be working with policy and program partners, engaging with stakeholders in all three spheres of government and Nepali academia to move this research agenda forward.
The Senior Operations and Partnership Manager (or Associate Director, depending on relevant experience and expertise) will collaborate closely with the GovLab board, GovLab and Yale University program staff, and Inclusion Economics Nepal research staff on day-to-day operational and long-term strategic goals.
Manage operations and human resources
1. Assume lead management role for the operations and human resources at Inclusion Economics Nepal, under the oversight of Governance Lab and Inclusion Economics at Yale University executive leadership.
2. In consultation with research and programmatic staff, manage human resource policies, including recruiting, performance management, compensation, staff relations, and training.
3. Set, manage and oversee processes for developing service agreements, contracts, MOUs and other written arrangements, often in complex international projects,
including incorporating input from Governance Lab and Inclusion Economics at Yale University, as needed.
4. Play a lead role in fostering positive staff engagement, including identifying objectives, making recommendations, co-developing strategies and implementing action plans, including managing professional growth activities for team members
5. Supervise program staff, including those responsible for research portfolio management, grant administration, communications, and office management.
6. Collaborate with the Governance Lab senior management and finance department to ensure all procedures and practices meet the organizational policies and legal requirements, and to ensure that grant-related deliverables and reports are submitted accurately in a timely manner.
7. Provide guidance and oversight of compliance to staff about organizational standards, policies and procedures.
8. Develop and implement guidelines and systems for effective operation and administration of the program, including action planning and reviewing, for enhancing quality of project deliverables and achieving organization’s strategic targets
9. Ensure robust system for risk-management of international projects and travel, as needed
Bolster strategic partnerships
10. Collaborate with Inclusion Economics at Yale University and Inclusion Economics India Centre to ensure that systems and procedures are in line with organizational policies.
11. Build partnership strategies to engage local, national and international stakeholders (e.g. government, universities, think tanks and international development partners)
12. Collaborate with GovLab management to strengthen strategic partnerships for sustained impact of the organization
13. Liaise with other Daayitwa Abhiyaan entities, including Daayitwa, Nepal Leadership Academy and Nepal Rising
Strengthen internal and external communication
14. Coordinate with senior staff, communication team and internal stakeholders at all levels to support public events such as policy dialogues, roundtables, and research seminars in order to effectively communicate research and policy insights.
15. Collaborate with GovLab Board and staff to ensure organizational knowledge, networks and intellectual property are preserved and safeguarded
Provide additional support
16. Handle special projects, and perform other duties as required and assigned by GovLab and Yale Inclusion Economics leadership.
- Masters degree in business administration, public administration, social development, economics, or other related field
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience with at least 3 years of experience in senior management position, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Impeccable managerial and interpersonal skills, with proven record of effectively interacting with senior management
- Recognized expertise in rural development, community engagement, government collaboration and private sector development
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in Nepali and English
- Independence in working on complex problems, and consistently applying creativity and independent judgment
- Experience working in an institution focusing on international development and/or dealing with government officials, specifically leading donor-funded programs in Nepal
- Excellent client orientation, diplomatic skills, and drive for results
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams under pressure in a diverse, uncertain environment. Experience of having led start-up teams will be a plus point.
- Strong motivation and organizational/time management skills.
- Proven ability to handle multiple tasks at a time within deadlines.
- Growth mindset - willingness to take risks and work hard.
What we offer:
- A dynamic and engaging environment within our office in Kathmandu and with internationally acclaimed researchers
- A competitive salary
- An opportunity to build and lead a team, and to contribute to the launch of a new policy-focused research initiative in Nepal.
How to Apply: If you are interested in this position, please fill out our Screening Questionnaire; you will be asked to upload a single PDF containing your CV and cover letter. Label your file “Last name, First name – Operations_Partnership Manager”.
To view other open positions, visit the Inclusion Economics Opportunities page.