Research Manager – Kathmandu, Governance Lab (within the Daayitwa Abhiyaan)
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal (with regular domestic travel)
Start date: Immediately
Governance Lab, based in Lalitpur and working in Nepal in partnership with Evidence for Policy Design India (EPoD India) at LEAD at Krea University, is dedicated to using rigorous evidence to address challenging questions at the intersection of economic development and public policy. Our cuttingedge research examines questions related to governance, financial inclusion, skills training, gender, and sustainable development, and it draws from a network of expert academics with expertise of working in Nepal and around the world.
EPoD India and GovLab are currently seeking a Research Manager to support a number of ongoing and new projects related to political economy research to support inclusive growth in Nepal. Our researchon political selection in Nepal and service delivery has opened up a larger research agenda evaluatingthe impact of federalization on service delivery, state capacity, and ultimately economic performance.
With the unfolding COVID crisis, various new research and policy questions have come up in Nepal. The Research Manager will play an active role in leading and managing all field activities of the projects, as well as provide data-analytic and field support from Kathmandu, with regular travel toother parts of the country. The position will entail close collaboration and assistance with the design and analysis of projects and implementation. The position requires a self-starting candidate who can conduct scoping activities with local partners, manage field activities and support with high quality
cleaning, merging and rigorous analysis of secondary data.
The selected candidate will have the opportunity to join a team of leading economists and public policy experts at Yale and the London School of Economics (LSE), as well as GovLab and EPoD India, to work on cutting-edge development research and gain first-hand experience working with policy partners and conducting rigorous data analysis.
- Implementation of research projects, including overseeing day-to-day field-based activities, in collaboration with relevant policy partners in Nepal, EPOD management team in India and Yale/LSE-based teams
- Manage the field-based team and its project activities, including intervention implementation, and contribute to field-based scoping, survey design, and survey testing. Monitor field-based data collection to ensure the highest data quality standards are upheld
- Manage all assigned administrative requirements of the project portfolio, including budgeting, financial management, procurement, contract set-up and compliance, grant reporting, deliverable tracking, etc.
- Work closely with research staff and lead investigators to ensure project budgets accurately reflect program design, and budgets are updated and executed appropriately
- Coordinate with project teams to ensure timely submission of financial reports and projections, and sub-grantee/contract reports and deliverables in the portfolio to keep projects running smoothly
- Manage relationships with funding organizations and partner institutions; work with partner institutions to coordinate project administration and logistics
- Contribute to EPoD India's and GovLab’s overall management and strategic vision by identifying additional sources of funding and potential partner organizations for the expansion of our research portfolio
- Contribute to grant applications as needed
- Manage and oversee staff on the projects. Recruit and onboard staff, as determined by project
- requirements and funds. Contribute to the growth/feedback process of direct reportees and
- be their first point of contact when guidance is required.
- Other tasks, as required
- Master’s degree in relevant field such as economics or public policy/administration.
- Significant coursework in economics is highly preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Proven analytical skills and knowledge of common statistics software packages (e.g. STATA, R) and proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and propose solutions in a timely manner with minimal supervision
- Excellent attention to detail
- Capacity to maintain an organized and structured work style in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, and willingness to interact with a wide range of individuals ranging from Research Associates to academics, donors, research institutions, etc.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Willingness to visit research project sites as necessary
- Working knowledge of Nepali
- Experience with research grants management, budgeting, and project management
- Solid understanding of research project design and processes, experience with RCTs
- Experience with Stata, Python (pandas + scrapy), GitHub, database management
- 3 to 5 years of management experience in international development or related field
What we offer
- A competitive salary by local standards.
- A dynamic and engaging environment.
- Regular travel within Nepal.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please email [ email@example.com ] In the subject line, put “Research Manager- Kathmandu” followed by your first and last name (e.g., “XXX – Jane Doe) and attach the following documents:
- Cover letter (maximum one page)
- Academic transcripts