Desired starting date: 1st January 2021
Duration: Until June 2022
Experience: Master’s degree, ideally with some field experience
Language requirements: French and English (Arabic preferred)
Organisation: Morocco Employment Lab Location: Rabat
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard Kennedy School and the Policy Center for the New South (PCNS) seek a qualified Research Associate to manage impact evaluations conducted by the Morocco Employment Lab.
The objective of the Employment Lab is to support the creation of a culture of evidence through impact evaluations and capacity building, to strengthen existing labor market programs and improve the effectiveness of future programs and policies in Morocco. The position offers an opportunity for the Research Associate to gain first-hand field experience in the design of impact evaluations and in collecting data in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research.
Research Associates work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running pilot tests, refining the design and the survey instruments of the study, managing survey teams, negotiating contracts with survey firms, checking and analyzing data, cleaning data and assisting in the preliminary analysis, assisting in the writing of project reports and policy memos, and coordinating with the local partner running the program under evaluation. This position is located in Rabat, Morocco.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Strong Project Participation and Oversight:
- Propose and, as appropriate, implement innovations in the different stages of a project in coordination with Principal Investigators
- Maintain and grow effective relationships with partner organizations
- Oversee and lead the field research activities, including the implementation of the evaluation, according to the research design in coordination with partners
- Liaising with field staff running the evaluations and collaborating with them including travel to research field sites
- Conduct background research in conjunction with field research activities
- Designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, refining study design and surveying instruments
- Supervise in person or phone data collection and ensure the good quality of the data
- Assist with the preparation of administrative databases o Assist with data cleaning and preliminary data analysis
Reporting and Communication:
- Facilitate, strengthen and maintain effective and efficient communication as the primary contact point with Principal Investigators
- Provide periodic updates on project activities to PIs and subject experts
- Participate in the planning and design of any outreach activities
- Ensure that project activities are on schedule and prepare project update reports according to agreements with funders and partners
- Any other work assigned by Principal Investigators
A Master's Degree in economics, public policy, math, statistics or related technical fields including training in microeconomics, econometrics, statistics, and advanced mathematics.
Graduate-level coursework in economics is a plus.
Experience with living in Morocco or a developing country is a strong advantage.
Very strong quantitative, organizational, and communication skills are necessary.
Fluency in French and an excellent command of English (compulsory). Arabic command is a plus.
Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player.
Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations.
Prior experience working with large data sets and programming in Stata, SAS, or other statistical programs is necessary. Familiarity with randomized controlled trials is a strong plus.
This position requires an involvement until June 2022.
Candidates must be authorized to work in Morocco.
How to apply
If you are interested, please complete the Policy Center for the New South application on www.policycenter.ma.
Once you complete your application online, please share your CV and cover letter with firstname.lastname@example.org following these instructions: (1) In the subject line: Include your full name: first (given) name followed by last (family) name and (2) in the email body: Copy exactly and only the following line: “Research Associate, Employment Lab, Morocco”
Please note: Candidates need to be legally authorized to work in Morocco.