START DATE: As soon as possible
ORGANIZATION: The Centre for Economic Research in Pakistan
PROJECT: Political Engagement Project
LOCATION: 29-P, Gulberg II, Lahore, Pakistan
START DATE: As soon as possible
LENGTH OF COMMITMENT: 12 Months
EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s (with work experience) or Master’s in social science, economics, or related field
The Centre for Economic Research in Pakistan, or CERP, is a leading independent nonpartisan policy institution focused on improving decision making in Pakistan through evidence-informed research, engaging with policy counterparts with real policy challenges and designing and advising on high impact reforms based on data. At CERP, we also deploy cutting edge pedagogy tailored for Pakistan and provide data insights to the private sector on product and process design.
This project examines how citizens can hold policy actors accountable for public service delivery outside of election cycles. Using the lens of public schooling, this study will examine the effectiveness of different types of non-electoral participation citizens can leverage to improve educational outcomes in public schools. The project focuses on the public service delivery of education as previous work has shown that in spite of citizens’ concerns about the quality of this public service, learning outcomes in public schools continue to lag behind private school counterparts in Pakistan. Through a randomized control trial, we intend to test a several interventions based on the community mobilization of citizens in rural and peri-urban areas in Punjab and the effectiveness of subsequent non-electoral participation in improving educational outcomes in public schools in these areas. Initial research has highlighted two key dimensions of citizen participation, which this project will focus on: (i) policy actor type – whether citizens approach a political or bureaucratic actor and (ii) citizen gender – whether the citizens participating are (primarily) women or men.
The Centre for Economic Research in Pakistan seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Assistant/Associate for the Parent Political Engagement Project. The position will perform a diverse range of functions, including research, fieldwork, and stakeholder management. You will also have the opportunity to engage with leading economists and public policy experts from Harvard and Princeton.
Job Description and Responsibilities
• Work with collaborating partners to ensure the intervention is implemented as designed
• Oversee data collection and maintain data collected from the field
• Collaborate with organizational partners to implement interventions in the field
• Work with primary investigators to develop baseline and end line surveys, including translation
• Work with survey team to ensure surveying is carried out with due diligence.
• Write field notes and regular progress reports and communicate regularly with primary investigators on project status
• Ensure data quality protocols are followed, including auditing enumerators and performing daily checks of incoming data
• Regularly meet and coordinate with organizational partners to ensure deadlines are met
• Conduct preliminary data analysis
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Economics, Public Policy, or a related discipline from an internationally recognized university.
• 1-2 years of relevant experience in research/programme design and/or evaluation, including the design and execution of surveys, focus groups, and interviews
• Ability to both work closely in with a team and work independently
• Ability to take a well-defined problem and come up with a response based on an independent analysis of the data
• Strong statistical programming skills (R preferred, otherwise STATA)
• Familiarity with various research and evaluation design concerns
• Willingness to travel to rural locations in Punjab for fieldwork
• Demonstrated ability to manage various tasks effectively and coordinate between project members
• Comfortable communicating with key stakeholders, including communities in rural Punjab and policy actors in the public sector
• Fluent in English and Urdu and comfortable with Punjabi
• Willing to take on added responsibility as the project progresses
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should fill out this online form and additionally submit a CV, cover letter, transcripts to email@example.com with the following subject line: “Research Assistant/Associate Political Engagement Project”.
Only successful candidates will be contacted regarding further steps in the application process. Deadline for submission of applications: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.