Post-Doctoral Researcher for Political Economy Research to Support Inclusive Growth in Nepal – Kathmandu, EPoD – Daayitwa
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal (with regular domestic travel)
Start date: 1 May, 2019*
*Note: Priority deadline for applications is April 15th. Applications received after this date will be considered on a rolling basis.
An interdisciplinary group of researchers based at SOAS University of London, Yale University, and University of California San Diego are preparing a collaborative research program bringing together insights and frameworks from economics, political science, and development studies in order to explore a set of operationally relevant research questions to inform the programming of a major development partner.
This group is currently seeking a senior researcher (Post-doctoral) to help drive forward this research agenda.
- Working with international researchers and in-country teams to help identify and scope research questions across broad themes of federalization, economic growth, and inclusion. The position would include working closely with local researchers as well as funders to prepare and deliver a multi-project, multi-year research agenda
- Drafting and finalizing research documents in consultation with principal investigators; may include scoping plans, questionnaires, literature reviews, as well as synthesizing findings into summaries for both academic and non-academic audiences.
- Identifying and liaising with potential partners and stakeholders, including governments, development organizations, and other researchers
- Supervision of 1-3 junior research staff
- The position is expected to be based in Nepal with travel required domestically and internationally
- An in depth understanding of key frameworks in development economics, political economy,
- Experience of conducting complex and long-term research engagements in developing countries (Nepal strongly preferred)
- A PhD in political science, economics, public policy, or a related field such as social anthropology of development
- Strong quantitative research skills (including comfort with analyzing large primary and administrative data sets using Stata, r, or python).
- Understanding of Nepali history and culture preferred; deep interest in developing this expertise is a must.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills essential; Nepali language skills highly desirable
What we offer
• A competitive salary by local standards.
• A dynamic and engaging environment.
• Regular travel within Nepal.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please email email@example.com. In the subject line, put “Post-Doctoral Researcher - Kathmandu” followed by your first and last name (e.g., “XXX – Jane Doe) and attach the following documents:
• Cover letter (maximum one page)
• Academic transcripts