Earliest starting date: 1st June 2020
Duration: Two years
Experience: Master’s degree and more than eight years of work experience in a related field
Language requirements: French and English (Arabic preferred)
Organization: Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard Kennedy School and the Policy Center for the New South (PCNS)
I. Job summary
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard Kennedy School and the Policy Center for the New South (PCNS) seek a qualified Deputy Director to set up and coordinate the activities of the Morocco Employment Lab.
The objective of the Employment Lab is to support the creation of a culture of evidence through impact evaluations and capacity building, to strengthen existing labor market programs and improve the effectiveness of future programs and policies in Morocco.
The position offers an opportunity for the Deputy Director to coordinate a range of diverse activities, including rigorous impact evaluation research, multi-layered training activities and policy engagement with Moroccan partners. The Deputy Director will also provide overall management support for the Employment Lab operations, including, but not limited to: strategic planning; discussions with government and NGO partners; management of personnel; legal and financial oversight; planning for new and existing research projects and policy outreach.
The role provides a unique opportunity to build on existing management experience, and to develop organizational structures and systems for growing programs, while also being involved in coordinating cutting-edge research, policy advocacy and capacity building activities.
The Deputy Director will report directly to the Employment Lab Director, and will also work closely with senior staff from J-PAL and EPoD, academic researchers and other field staff. The Employment Lab scientific directors are Bruno Crépon (ENSAE) and Rema Hanna (Harvard). This position is located in Rabat, Morocco. Candidates must be authorized to work in Morocco.
II. Key responsibilities:
Coordinate engagements with policymakers and Employment Lab activities
- Coordinate the preparation of policy and training events targeted towards policymakers
- Coordinate training activities together with training staff from J-PAL and EPoD as well as senior instructors
- Contribute to the development of new research projects together with labour market implementing partners in Morocco
- Coordinate field and background research for new projects
- Contribute to disseminating research findings to stakeholders
- Liaise with and report to the project donor on the Employment Lab activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Oversee logistical operations including procurement, safety, and security
- Oversee production of technical reports, outputs and analysis, project briefs and communication materials.
- Provide day-to-day technical support to Project Associates on ongoing research projects to ensure work plans and timelines are met and that data quality is high.
- Ensure that research is implemented according to quality standards and Principal Investigator direction
- Manage relationships with and provide services to Principal Investigators
- Administration and Management
With the support of a finance and operations officer, the Deputy Director will:
- Supervise administrative tasks of the Employment Lab, including management of project and administrative staff
- Develop strategic plans for finance, human resources, logistics, and other management systems
- Develop and oversee accounting systems and approval of finances
- Develop and oversee human resource systems and procedures
- Oversee and ensure organizational legal compliance
- Coordinate meetings and trainings for the Employment Lab staff
- A Master's Degree in economics, public policy, international development, or other related fields strongly preferred. Graduate-level coursework in economics is required.
- 8 or more years of relevant work experience is required. Experience working on impact evaluations is a plus.
- Experience with living in Morocco is a strong advantage.
- Prior knowledge of the Morocco labour market is a strong advantage.
- Fluency in French and in English with strong writing skills. Arabic command is a strong plus.
- Strong leadership, communication and relationship-building skills, with the ability to interact with institutional partners, academic researchers, high-level policymakers, and staff. Previous experience managing staff is a plus.
- Experience with and knowledge of financial planning and management
- Interest in encouraging evidence-based policymaking through research, training and policy engagement.
- Knowledge of data collection, data management, data analysis, econometrics, and/or randomized impact evaluation methodology is strongly desirable.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player.
- This position requires an involvement of two years at a minimum.
Once you complete your application online, please share your CV and cover letter with firstname.lastname@example.org following these instructions:
- In the subject line: Include your full name: first (given) name followed by last (family) name
- Iin the email body: Copy exactly and only the following line: “Deputy Director, Employment Lab, Morocco”
Given the volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.