Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard Kennedy School is a young, dynamic research initiative that brings analytical insights, typically from economics, to the design and implementation of public policies and programs around the world. EPoD directly engages with governments and local organizations to identify key questions, design innovative new policies or interventions, and test these using the tools of applied microeconomics, including large field-based experiments. Current research topics at EPoD include governance, education, entrepreneurship, health, agriculture, sustainable development, and access to finance.
Portfolio Operations and Management
- Lead programmatic management of a large portfolio of research, policy and training activities in coordination with faculty, Cambridge-based and field staff, and project stakeholders. Accountable for pre award and post award compliance (including financial policies, technical quality and IRB compliance) for sponsored grants and other funding.
- Drive forward project and initiative objectives for successful completion, drawing in and synthesizing inputs from a range of team members, collaborators and partners, as needed
- Forecast revenues and expenses and creates complex budgets for the program; make assessments, recommendations and decisions allocate resources from one area of the budget to another with support from the grants and finance team, and in collaboration with other units at Harvard or externally.
- Provide direction and support on web site content and communications development to more effectively present research and policy outputs to an outside audience, including current and potential funders.
- Develop research and policy proposal submissions and publications (e.g. edit, develop and proofread presentations, reports, policy briefs, and research papers), in addition to grant proposals and supporting documents for EPoD research and initiatives.
- Manage the design and delivery of policy conferences and other events on these topics.
- Oversee and delegate responsibility for the grant submission process in collaboration with faculty and the administrative teams at EPoD, including drafting or contributing content to the proposal narrative, preparing the budget, compiling other proposal components, and coordinating with counterparts within other units or institutions for grant submission.
- Identify opportunities to develop or expand research projects, training engagements and other collaborations.
Staff and Resources Management
- Manage all international hiring, vendor agreements, Memorandum of Understandings (MOUs), and other international operations for portfolio.
- Provide management oversight to project staff, including U.S.-based and field staff.
- Manage recruitment, including recommendations for hiring and onboarding processes for new project staff and research fellows.
- Create and implement system for close collaboration with EPoD India at IFMR team, including areas of field activity management, fundraising and managing field project resources (at Harvard and externally), recruiting project team members and support for policy events or workshops.
- Travel to the field as needed to ensure robust management of program activities, representing EPoD faculty interests.
- Negotiate and problem solve with external vendors and collaborators.
Stakeholder Engagement and Relationship Development
- Design, implement and direct marketing strategy for overall portfolio with outcome of increased stakeholder engagement and program awareness.
- Expand partnerships between EPoD, EPoD India and other Harvard research centers on topics related to human capital development, high quality research management and survey best practices, primarily through identifying and spearheading joint grant proposals.
- Develop and maintain other internal and external constituent relationships, securing new relationships with potential donors and policy partners.
- Lead portfolio initiatives by accomplishing related duties as required.
Masters or higher degree in economics, public policy, international development or related field plus five years’ progressive program management experience.
Strong interest in public policy and economic development in India. Coursework in empirical methods, including econometrics and economics. Excellent English oral and written communication skills. Background in grant writing and communications, including an ability to integrate research and policy into coherent and effective written materials. The candidate should be well organized, able to prioritize, have strong attention to detail and manage multiple assignments simultaneously. Previous work experience in India and in resources development preferred.
The position requires strong interpersonal skills, the ability to interact well with faculty, staff, students, and research partners in developing countries. Strong and demonstrated ability to manage financial resources and balance budgets for projects desirable. Experience in private sector will be evaluated favorably.
Will be required to travel to and spend extended time in India and other field sites.
Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard Kennedy School works to promote the use of analytical insights drawn from economics and backed by rigorous evidence to inform the design and implementation of public policies and programs around the world. We conduct research with policymakers – frequently at scale – to build a direct road to impact. Current research topics at EPoD include governance, education, entrepreneurship, health, agriculture, sustainable development, and access to finance.
EPoD is currently seeking a Cambridge-based Senior Program Manager to lead the portfolio of work under the direction of EPoD’s Faculty Co-Director, Professor Rohini Pande. S/he will provide operational direction, oversight and support to a portfolio of ongoing research and policy engagements in India and other countries. The candidate will play a key role in overseeing and supporting EPoD India program activities at IFMR in Delhi, in addition to activities of EPoD’s data analytics team. S/he will have the opportunity to work with EPoD-affiliated researchers and staff to develop new research-policy partnerships in India, Nepal and potentially other countries in South Asia and beyond. This position is based in the US but will include significant (25% or more) travel to India, Nepal and potentially other locations.
To apply, please go here. Please upload your cover letter and resume as one document.
Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background checks.
This position is a fully benefits eligible term appointment ending one year after date of hire with the strong possibility of renewal.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
Pre-Employment Screening: Education, Identity
EEO Statement: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.