Start date: As soon as possible
Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at the Center for International Development at Harvard University has partnered with India’s Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR), to implement a series of research projects focused on development policy in India. Both IFMR and EPoD are dedicated to using rigorous evidence to address challenging questions at the intersection of economic development and public policy. Our cutting-edge research examines questions related to governance, financial inclusion, livelihoods, gender, and sustainable development, drawing from a network of expert academics with expertise in India and around the world.
EPoD India in partnership with its host institution, IFMR, is currently recruiting a Research Associate to support several research projects through EPoD India, primarily working on one project related to skills training of rural women and employment. The skills training project will include the implementation of large-scale surveys and a randomized control trial aimed at identifying and assessing constraints to female participation in training programs. The Research Associate will provide data-analytic and field support for projects from Delhi, with extensive travel to other parts of the country.
The position requires a self-starting candidate who can conduct in-depth interviews and scoping activities with partner organizations, manage field activities and coordinate field staff for the execution of surveys and RCTs, and support with high quality cleaning and rigorous analysis of both primary and secondary data. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to join a team of leading economists and public policy experts from Harvard University and EPoD India at IFMR to work on cutting-edge development research and gain first-hand experience working with policy partners, implementing surveys and field experiments, and conducting rigorous data analysis.
- Oversee the day-to-day implementation of field-based research (scoping, surveying, project implementation) – including the management of field personnel, procurement, budgets, and reporting - for several research projects
- Assist in the design and field-testing of survey instruments and develop and implement appropriate structures and systems for a larger randomized intervention, including the procurement of supplies; development and oversight of field and quality control protocols; recruitment, training, and leading of field staff; and coordination with local partners
- Seek out and collect administrative data from policy partners and government agencies
- Conduct data cleaning, manipulation, and analysis using multiple primary and secondary data sources for several EPoD-affiliated policy research projects
- Review and report on academic literature of requested topics in support of policy briefs and research projects
- Contribute to analysis and writing of policy briefs for various government partners and case studies on EPoD project components
- Manage day-to-day relationships with national, state, and lower-level government officials and other potential partners (academics, policy organizations, NGOs, etc.) as requested
- Provide appropriate inputs for project management (budgets, reports, etc.) for EPoD and IFMR in India and for program monitoring and reporting to the management hub at Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard
- Others, as required
Basic Qualifications: Bachelor's candidates with at least 2 years of experience in data-based research, preferably in economics or a related field. Strong interest in public policy and economic development in low-income countries. Excellent oral and written English and Hindi communication skills and proficiency in Stata and the Microsoft Office suite. Mature, self-directed individual with ability to balance multiple tasks and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment.
Preferred Qualifications: Master's degree in economics or related field and experience in Stata is highly desired. Candidate should have strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to engage with policy partners of various levels.
This position will be based in Delhi, India, with regular travel to field-sites throughout the country expected.
How to Apply: If you are interested in this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Research Associate: Skills", your CV, academic transcript, and a statement of interest.