Start date: December 2013
EPoD is currently seeking a Research Associate to contribute to the development of teaching, capacity building, and executive education activities in the area of International Development and Social Policy at the Harvard Kennedy School. There will be a particular focus on integrating rigorous empirical research into course content, requiring analysis and synthesis of data and economic papers into teaching materials, under the guidance and direction of EPoD faculty. The successful candidate will gain the opportunity to shape the way that international development and social policy is taught to current and future policymakers and practitioners, both at the Harvard Kennedy School and elsewhere. The successful candidate will work with counterparts across the Kennedy School and with partner organizations such as the Center for Economic Research in Pakistan, the Institute for Financial Management and Research (India), the Jameel Poverty Action Lab, and Innovations for Poverty Action to develop and implement training, research, and policy engagement strategies.
- Working with the EPoD faculty and management staff to develop and implement a strategy for teaching and pedagogical engagement at HKS
- Supporting development of HKS courses in the area of international development and social and urban policy, including:
- Synthesis and review of relevant literatures to inform course content
- Drafting case studies, lecture slides, assignments and other teaching materials
- Preparation of data sets and exercises for course materials and content
- Summary statistics and data analysis using Stata as needed for background research or development of course materials
- Curriculum development and course planning
- Contributing to the design and development of HKS Executive Education programs on health policy and financial inclusion
- Assisting in the development of a suite of online training modules for a three-year capacity building program on using evidence targeted at policymakers in Pakistan, India and Afghanistan in coordination with the Strengthening Learning and Teaching Excellence (SLATE) initiative at HKS
- Coordinating with other course offerings at HKS, Harvard, within the JPAL-IPA network and with partner organizations more globally to develop targeted, effective teaching materials and high-impact teaching engagements
- Developing and supporting other policy and training events at HKS or internationally
- Others, as required
Basic Qualifications: Master's degree in economics, public policy, international development or related field and two to three years of related experience. Experience using Stata (or equivalent) for data analysis required.
Preferred Qualifications: Strong interest in public policy and economic development research. Coursework in empirical methods, including econometrics with fluency in understanding instrumental variables methods and the design of randomized trials. Excellent English oral and written communication skills. Experience in developing course materials, particularly in PowerPoint. Computer literacy (including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and computer research skills are vital.
The candidate must have a strong ability to integrate sophisticated economic concepts, research and policy issues into coherent and effective written and teaching materials. The candidate should be well-organized, able to prioritize and manage multiple assignments simultaneously, and have excellent attention to detail. The position requires strong interpersonal skills, the ability to interact well with faculty, staff, students, and research partners. Experience in private sector and staff management will be evaluated favorably. Previous experience in a research environment and willingness to travel internationally desired.
Some travel may be required.
How to Apply: If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Research Associate", your CV, academic transcript, and a statement of interest.