Center for Economic Research in Pakistan (CERP)
POSITION TITLE: Research Associate – Punjab Economic Opportunities Program
START DATE: As soon as possible
MINIMUM COMMITMENT: 12 months
LOCATION: 19-A FCC, Gulberg IV, Lahore, Pakistan
Project and Position Description
This is a full-time position in the Punjab Economic Opportunities Program team based at the CERP office in Lahore. The work can be challenging, yet very exciting given the scope of the project and stakeholders involved. The RA team is dedicated to the problem-solving ethos of the research culture at CERP. Selected candidates will have the opportunity to work with leading economists and public policy experts from institutions such as Harvard University, Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) and Princeton University. The position is based in Lahore and may require travel to other urban and rural locations for fieldwork. To find out more about CERP, please visit the official website.
The Punjab Economic Opportunities Program is a bold poverty alleviation initiative initiated by the Government of Punjab and supported by DFID. The aim of the program is to increase incomes and economic stability for low income, poor and vulnerable people in four of the poorest districts in the Punjab Province.
CERP’s participation in PEOP will ensure that program design is informed by rigorously collected and analyzed qualitative information. In this effort, CERP will conduct impact evaluations through randomized controlled trials and will measure the effectiveness of the program’s interventions.
To find out more about PEOP, click here.
Your primary responsibility will be towards the Project and you will be required to work individually and as part of a team to undertake tasks pertaining to administering empirical field research. Some of these tasks are outlined as follows:
- Working with in-house teams and/or survey company to administer surveys and intervention roll outs
- Managing data under the project. This includes organization of files and cleaning data for use in analysis.
- Sampling for different surveys and evaluations.
- Data analysis for academic and non-academic audiences
- Work with the project team for the design and piloting of interventions through field visits, market research and data analysis.
- Oversee and monitor implementation of interventions for evaluations.
- Oversee report writing for donors and project partners
- Travel to various rural and urban parts of Punjab for monitoring and intervention design purposes.
- Assist the Project Coordinator with management of project activities by:
- Helping to manage relationships with local partners
- Helping to administer weekly project calls with local and international PIs
- Helping to structure and organize project activities and documentation
- Helping to plan project activities
- Other tasks assigned by the Project Coordinator or PIs.
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy, or a related discipline from an internationally recognized university. (Well-qualified Bachelor’s candidates with significant related work experience (4-5 years) will also be considered.)
- Preferably 1-2 years of relevant experience in research/program design and/or evaluation, including the design and execution of surveys, focus groups, and interviews
- Ability to work closely in a team on a large project with multiple evaluations.
- Ability to take a well-defined problem and come up with a response based on an independent analysis of the data.
- Working knowledge of STATA.
- Familiarity with various research and evaluation design concerns.
- Willingness to travel to urban and rural locations in Punjab for fieldwork
- Demonstrated ability to manage various tasks effectively and coordinate between project members
- Comfortable communicating with key stakeholders in the public and private sectors as well as with a wide range of urban and rural populations in Pakistan
- Fluent in English and Urdu
How to apply:
Interested candidates should fill this online form and send their cover letter, CV, transcripts and contact information of 3 professional/academic references(attached in a word doc) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title ‘CERP Annual Recruitment Drive 2016’.
Posting date: 4/1/2016