- COUNTRY: India
- START DATE: June 1, 2014 - September 30, 2014
- LENGTH OF COMMITMENT: Two years
- EDUCATION: Master's
- ORGANIZATION: J-PAL South Asia at IFMR
J-PAL South Asia at the Institute for Financial Management and Research seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Senior Research Manager to lead a wide variety of impact evaluations in India. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand research management experience, including field operations, in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research and work with major policy stakeholders including state and central governments and social enterprises in India.
The Senior Research Manager will work with a team of Research Managers and Associate to oversee a diverse portfolio of environment and energy projects in Bihar, Gujarat, Maharashtra, and Tamil Nadu. The Principal Investigators for this portfolio of projects include Prof. Robin Burgess (LSE Economics), Prof. Michael Greenstone (M.I.T Economics), Prof. Rohini Pande (Kennedy School of Government, Harvard), Dr. Nicholas Ryan (Prize Fellow in Economics, Harvard), and Dr. Anant Sudarshan (Sustainability Science Fellow, Harvard). . The Senior Program Manager will join a team of world class researchers from leading universities in the world and will gain first-hand experience implementing Randomized Control Trials in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research.
Senior Research Managers work closely with the academic researchers, J-PAL South Asia senior management, and project staff to perform a variety tasks including, but not limited to:
- The primary responsibility is to ensure high-quality, timely, and on budget implementation of 4-5 randomized control trials in the energy sector
- Lead engagements with a multitude of stakeholders/partners engaged on a project. These include: academics, policymakers, government functionaries, implementing partner NGOs and private/public firms, donor agencies, multilateral agencies
- Manage relationships with funding organizations and partner institutions; work with partner institutions to coordinate project administration and logistics
- Supervise and mentor internal team to implement project on the ground which includes several research managers, research associates, and consultants
- Technical and managerial support to survey data collection including sampling, instrument design, field operations planning, and data management
- Ensure appropriate systems are designed and put in place so that compliance with grants and institutional guidelines are maintained for processes including planning, budgeting, procurement, reporting, legal matters, etc
- Proactively manage the varying donor/funder requirements on grants to ensure projects proceed with minimal delays and research designs are not compromised
- Lead policy outreach and develop new research opportunities in the energy and environment sector on behalf of the project and J-PAL South Asia
- Education: This position is for people with a Master’s degree in economics, public policy/administration, business, engineering, or environmental sciences. Strong coursework in economics is highly preferable,
- Interest in development and energy policy
- Experience: This position requires 8 or more years of relevant experience at a managerial level, in a multi-faceted role, dealing with multitude of stakeholders. Experience working in the environment or energy sector [JF2] and knowledge of the Indian government context is a huge plus.
- Management: Proven ability to handle several different projects/tasks at one time, successfully complete tasks assigned, and meet deadlines. A willingness to work hard, be self-motivated and learn will be essential for doing well in this position. Experience in managing teams and interacting with institutional partners strongly desired. Ability to present and negotiate with senior members a plus and proven experience in managing high level partnerships.
- Communication: Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills for communicating with multiple partners. This requires clear, precise, non-technical writing, and creativity in presentation. Fluency in English a must and knowledge of Hindi is a plus.
- Understanding Randomized Evaluations: Demonstrating a good basic understanding of the value of randomized evaluations and their usefulness for policy decisions is valuable but not required.
- Travel: Travel to different parts of India to meet with relevant stakeholders.
We are looking for a minimum commitment period of two years for this position with a strong possibility for a longer term position for exceptional candidates.