Start date: September 2014
Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at the Center for International Development at Harvard University has partnered with India's IFMR LEAD, based at the Institute for Financial Management and Research, to implement several exciting new research and policy programs, including a program known as Building Capacity to Use Research Evidence (BCURE): Data and Evidence for Smart Policy Design. Both IFMR LEAD and EPoD are dedicated to using rigorous evidence to address challenging questions at the intersection of economic development and public policy. Our cutting-edge research examines questions related to governance, financial inclusion, risk mitigation, entrepreneurship, education, health, agriculture, and sustainable development, and we draw from a network of academics with expertise in India and around the world.
EPoD is currently recruiting a Research Manager, based at IFMR LEAD, to support a portfolio of several research projects in India. The position will allow the selected candidate an opportunity to gain first-hand research management experience on projects at the forefront of economic research and public policy. The Research Manager will spend much of his or her time dedicated to the BCURE initiative, which works closely with policymakers to build technical and institutional capacity to integrate data and research into policy decisions. Within India, BCURE is undertaking a wide range of research and policy activities, including administering a comprehensive assessment of the individual and organizational constraints on policymakers' use of evidence; training policymakers to increase their capacity to more effectively incorporate data and evidence into decision making; providing financial and technical support for pilot projects that demonstrate the value of incorporating data and research in policy and programmatic decisions; and leading consensus-building policy dialogues to advance evidence-driven debates on challenging policy issues. The Research Manager will also manage at least one large-scale randomized control trial involving top academics from Harvard (Rohini Pande) and other internationally acclaimed universities. The Research Manager will be responsible for financial management, budgeting, procurement, reporting, contracts/grants, as well as contribute to research design and implementation, of the assigned portfolio. This position requires a self-starting candidate with proven management experience and familiarity with applied economics research who can effectively navigate India's institutional landscape and appropriately represent IFMR and EPoD to outside stakeholders.
- Support the implementation of research projects, including overseeing day-to-day field-based activities, in collaboration with relevant policy partners and India and Cambridge-based teams
- Maintain close contact with field-based team to manage project activities, including intervention implementation, and contribute to field-based scoping, survey design, and survey testing. Monitor field-based data collection to ensure the highest data quality standards are upheld
- Manage all assigned administrative requirements of the project portfolio, including financial management, budgeting, procurement, contract set-up and compliance, grant reporting, deliverable tracking, etc.
- Work closely with research staff and lead investigators to ensure project budgets accurately reflect program design, and budgets are updated and executed appropriately
- Coordinate with project teams to ensure timely submission of financial reports and projections, and sub-grantee/contract reports and deliverables in the portfolio to keep projects running smoothly
- Manage relationships with funding organizations and partner institutions; work with partner institutions to coordinate project administration and logistics
- Contribute to EPoD's and IFMR LEAD’s overall management and strategic vision by identifying additional sources of funding and potential partner organizations for the expansion of our research portfolio
- Contribute to grant applications as needed
- Master’s degree in relevant field such as economics or public policy/administration. Significant coursework in economics is highly preferred
- 3 to 5 years of management experience in international development or related field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Proven analytical skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and propose solutions in a timely manner with minimal supervision
- Excellent attention to detail
- Capacity to maintain an organized and structured work style in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, and willingness to interact with a wide range of individuals ranging from Research Associates to academics, donors, research institutions, etc.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Experience working with large government funders, such as the UK Department for International Development
- Experience with research grants management, budgeting, and project management
- Solid understanding of research project design and processes
- Proficiency in Stata and strong data analysis skills
- Willingness to visit research project sites as necessary
This position will be based in Delhi, India, with frequent travel throughout the country expected.