Start date: February 1, 2014
EPoD has partnered with IFMR Research in India, home for the Center for Microfinance, and JPAL-South Asia to implement a number of large-scale field research projects and policy engagements that address urgent topics related to economic development and public policy. These projects include the Building Capacity to Use Research Evidence (BCURE) program, a 3-year initiative aimed to develop technical and institutional capacity to integrate data and evidence into policymaking, as well as multiple large-scale randomized control trials covering topics including financial inclusion, microfinance, entrepreneurship, female empowerment, governance, and sustainable development.
EPoD is currently recruiting a Research Manager, based at IFMR Research, who will manage a portfolio of 5-7 projects with our partners, including some of India's leading research institutions and top academics from Harvard, Duke, and other internationally acclaimed universities. This position will require the Research Manager to work in close collaboration with Professors Rohini Pande of Harvard Kennedy School and Erica Field of Duke University as well as research and management staff for the portfolio of projects. The Research Manager will be responsible for the financial management, budgeting, procurement, reporting and contract/grant-related aspects of the assigned research portfolio.
- Manage all administrative requirements of the project portfolio, including financial management, budgeting, procurement, contract set-up and compliance, grant reporting, deliverable tracking, etc.
- Work closely with research staff and lead investigators to ensure project budgets accurately reflect program design, and budgets are updated and executed appropriately
- Coordinate with project teams to ensure timely submission of financial reports and projections, and sub grantee/contract reports and deliverables in the portfolio to keep projects running smoothly
- Ensure appropriate systems are designed and put in place so that compliance with grants and institutional guidelines are maintained for processes including planning, budgeting, procurement, reporting, legal matters, etc.
- Proactively manage the varying donor/funder requirements on grants to ensure projects proceed with minimal delays and research designs are not compromised
- Manage relationships with funding organizations and partner institutions; work with partner institutions to coordinate project administration and logistics
- Contribute to EPoD's and IFMR Research's overall management and strategic vision by identifying additional sources of funding and potential partner organizations for the expansion of our research portfolio
- Contribute to grant applications as needed
- Undergraduate degree in business management, finance, grant administration, or related field
- 3 to 5 years of management experience in international development or related field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Proven analytical skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and propose solutions in a timely manner with minimal supervision
- Excellent attention to detail
- Capacity to maintain an organized and structured work style in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, and willingness to interact with a wide range of individuals ranging from Research Associates to academics, donors, research institutions, etc.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Master's degree in relevant field
- Experience working with large government funders, such as the UK Department for International Development
- Experience with research grants management, budgeting, and project management
- Solid understanding of research project design and processes
- Willingness to visit research project sites as necessary