POSITION: Research and Training Manager
LOCATION: 60-H, Gulberg III, Lahore, Pakistan
START DATE: Immediately
LENGTH OF COMMITMENT: One year minimum
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of five years. At least a Masters degree in Economics, Public Policy, Statistics
or related field from an internationally recognized university
ORGANISATION: Center for Economic Research in Pakistan (CERP)
The Center for Economic Research in Pakistan (CERP) is a non-profit research center based in Lahore with the strategic objective of informing policy and practice by filling socio-economic research gaps in Pakistan using rigorous economic research tools. CERP also facilitates an environment where the international academic community both within and outside Pakistan can work with program implementers to answer research questions that matter, bringing together academic findings, policy advice, and focused debate.
CERP is currently leading the delivery of two projects in Pakistan related to evidence-based policy making, where the Research and Training Manager will be key:
1.) Building Capacity to Use Research Evidence (BCURE) initiative is a DFID-funded capacity building program to increase the use of rigorous data and research evidence by policymakers. The project is managed from Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard University, with CERP responsible for delivering activities in Pakistan. This includes an innovative assessment to map the policy process in the country; a cutting-edge and scalable online training platform to strengthen individual capacity among policy actors; in-country pilot projects to fill identified gaps in leveraging data for policy design and implementation, and policy dialogues to advance consensus around the value of evidence-based policy.
2.) The Regional Centers for Learning on Evaluation and Results (CLEAR) are a collaborative effort between donors and member countries aimed at strengthening Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and Performance Management (PM) capacities to promote and support results-oriented and evidence-based decision making. CLEAR supports competitively selected regional academic institutions to provide cost-effective, relevant, and demand-driven capacity building services to governments and civil society. CERP is CLEAR’s representative in Pakistan. As such, CERP provides training courses for executives, policymakers, researchers, and project managers, and hosts lectures, policy roundtables, and seminars to a broad audience of people.
Job Description and Responsibilities:
CERP is looking for a self-motivated Research and Training Manager to provide oversight of CERP’s research operations and support design and delivery of CERP’s capacity building initiatives through BCURE and CLEAR.
• Providing oversight to CERP’s research operations, including review of research plans and monitoring of field practices
• Designing a set of quality control protocols for CERP research projects
• Reviewing formal reports to donors and research partners
• Other support, as required
• Supporting the development, adaptation and refinement of training modules for Pakistan, through coordination with the cross-country BCURE Assessment and Training Teams
• Ensuring the successful implementation of policy dialogue workshops, including contributing to workshop design, logistical oversight and outputs
• Coordinating and supporting the development of written case studies for pilot projects and policy dialogues
• Responsibility for program monitoring and reporting to the management hub at Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard, as required
• Building and maintaining the relationships with CERP’s core institutional partners
• Supporting the design and delivery of CLEAR training modules
• Supporting delivery of reporting material to CLEAR’s Independent Evaluation Group at the World Bank
• Masters degree in Economics, Public Policy, Statistics or related field
• Minimum 5 years related work experience in research and / or public policy
• Strong data analysis skills
• Understanding of Monitoring and Evaluation
• Fieldwork experience, ideally in Pakistan
• Proven organizational skills
• Proficient in MS Office suite and database management
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Fluency in English
• Fluency in Urdu (strongly preferred)
• Experience designing and delivering training in economics / research related topics an advantage
• Familiarity and experience with international donor project delivery an advantage
• Familiarity and experience with the government of Pakistan an advantage
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit an application through this online form AND should send a CV to Ms. Gemma Stevenson to email@example.com with the following subject line: “Research and Training Manager”.
Suitably qualified candidates that have applied to the CLEAR Policy and Training Associate position will be automatically considered for the Research and Training Manager role. Please do not submit a second application.
Deadline for submission of applications: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Only successful candidates will be contacted regarding further steps in the application process.