Start date: June 2014
The Center for Economic Research in Pakistan (CERP) is a non-profit research center based in Lahore with the strategic objective of informing policy and practice by filling socio-economic research gaps in Pakistan using rigorous economic research tools. CERP also facilitates an environment where the international academic community both within and outside Pakistan can work with program implementers to answer research questions that matter, bringing together academic findings, policy advice, and focused debate.
CERP is currently leading the delivery of two projects in Pakistan related to evidence-based policy making, where the Associate Director will play a key oversight role:
1.) Building Capacity to Use Research Evidence (BCURE) initiative is a DFID-funded capacity building program to increase the use of rigorous data and research evidence by policymakers. The project is managed from Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard University, with CERP responsible for delivering activities in Pakistan. This includes an innovative assessment to map the policy process in the country; a cutting-edge and scalable online training platform to strengthen individual capacity among policy actors; in-country pilot projects to fill identified gaps in leveraging data for policy design and implementation, and policy dialogues to advance consensus around the value of evidence-based policy.
2.) The Regional Centers for Learning on Evaluation and Results (CLEAR) are a collaborative effort between donors and member countries aimed at strengthening Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and Performance Management (PM) capacities to promote and support results-oriented and evidence-based decisionmaking. CLEAR supports competitively selected regional academic institutions to provide cost-effective, relevant, and demand-driven capacity building services to governments and civil society. CERP is CLEAR’s representative in Pakistan. As such, CERP provides training courses for executives, policymakers, researchers, and project managers, and hosts lectures, policy roundtables, and seminars to a broad audience of people.
Job Description and Responsibilities:
CERP is looking for an Associate Director to lead CERP in its mission to generate high quality economic research and to improve the policy process in Pakistan. This requires overall organizational management as well as project management on CERP’s capacity building projects. Specific duties include:
A. Organizational and Growth Management
- Working with the CERP Board of Directors to develop strategic recommendations and execute approved plans for CERP’s growth.
- Directing administrative systems and operational policies in consultation with the Board.
- Directing staff for business operations (finance, HR, procurement and administration).
B. Partnership Development and Outreach
- Developing CERP’s fellowship system and network of CERP affiliates.
- Directing CERP’s communications strategy.
- Managing CERP’s relations with current and potential partners relevant to CERP’s research activities and capacity development work.
- Representing CERP at international forums, national and local government entities, multi-lateral donor agencies.
C. Project Management
- Overseeing the CLEAR initiative including managing CERP-CLEAR staff; designing and developing of curriculum; recruiting participants and forging institutional partnerships to strengthen capacities and systems in monitoring and evaluation (M&E).
- Overseeing the BCURE initiative including managing BCURE staff; coordinating with key in-country partners and the management hub in the US, and providing inputs into policy dialogue, training and pilot project components.
D. Support to Research Operations
- Assisting CERP Research Fellows in project design, staffing and budgeting during the proposal stage. to ensure research meet international standards
- Editing reports and other documentation sent to donors, as required.
- Masters degree in Economics, Public Policy, Management or related field
- 5-10 years related work experience
- Prior management experience (at an organizational or project level)
- Proven organizational skills
- Understanding of rigorous research techniques
- Understanding of best practices in Monitoring and Evaluation
- Proficient in MS Office suite and database management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Fluency in English
- Fluency in Urdu
- Familiarity and experience with international donor project delivery
- Familiarity and experience with the government of Pakistan
How to Apply:
Deadline for submission of applications: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Only successful candidates will be contacted regarding further steps in the application process.